POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN FINANCIAL
MFP-3: COMMODITY MARKETS
Time: 3 hours Maximum Marks: 100
Note: Attempt any five questions. All questions carry equal marks.
- What is a Commodity Derivatives Exchange? Describe briefly the different commodity derivatives Exchanges in Asia.
- Discuss briefly various types of orders placed by exchange members based on price related conditions and time-related conditions in a commodity exchange.
- What are the basic characteristics that have to be met by an article or a product in order to qualify as a commodity for future trading? Discuss the various benefits of trading in commodity derivatives.
- Briefly discuss the different base metals in the world. What are the factors that impact the prices of base metals?
- Explain the structure of sugar industry in India and discuss the importance of sugar as a major agricultural commodity.
- Explain the following with suitable examples:
- Contango and Backwardation
- Basic and Basis risk
- What do you mean by ‘Arbitrage’ ? Explain the concepts of cash and carry Arbitrage and Reverse cash and carry Arbitrage with the help of examples.
- Why are ‘Warehouse Receipts’ dematerialised? Briefly explain the process of dematerialisation of warehouse receipts of commodities and mention the entities that are involved in this process? Explain the different types of demand accounts opened by the depositors of commodities?